Monday 9 July 2007

I know that hats are a complicated issue....they are a part of an image, part of a uniform, a statement, a functional item or merely a hat. Baseball caps particularly so.

Peak forward, peak oblique or peak backwards is an obvious starting point for fashion comment, it depends where you are, what nationality, what the weather is doing etc etc...pretty much everything can be explained away.

However......

There is a guy, probably around 17 years old I would guess, who comes in to the shop every so often. Nice guy, quite polite, happy and smiley.

But he wears his baseball cap in a very odd way. Now Italy is the fashion capital of the world - they say...so having explained this style to you I expect to see it echoed in the global media, on the red carpet and even on the golf course. If you can create a picture in your minds for a second, you need to tighten the adjustment to give the cap as small a circumference as possible, making sure the cap is stiff and stands erect...then just balance it on the centre of your head.

If that is hard to imagine just think of a boil on an orange.

How it stays on is anyone's guess, perhaps it is pinned, perhaps he has a hamster inside it holding it down with it's little paws, perhaps it has nested in there and will only come out in the spring, I don't know.

I have tried wearing mine this way, and I just look ridiculous.

As if a hat can make that much difference....

3 comments:

simplyolive said...

great gelati photo!

Dawn said...

Well written. I love the shot of the shop. Brings back good memories of my time in Lucca when I met you last year.
Did you ask this young man why he wears the hat like that??????
dawnfetty.com
creativeendeavors-dawn.blogspot

Dawn said...

Nice Blog. Brings back good memories of meeting you in Lucca. I love your shop.